Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Solaris Workshop

Our first lecture back was a good introduction to the sound module and the software we would be using in the semester. Its been quite awhile since I had use Pro Tools it was good to have the introduction and recap on the skills I had learnt last year.

We started off by looking at some of the short cuts, which I had found very helpful, it’s always great to know short cuts to help work more efficiently.

Letter
R- Reduce/zoom out
T- Expand/zoom in
Z-Undo
X- Cut
C- Copy
P- Paste
D-fade in
G- Fade out
F-Cross fade

Numeric keyboard
+ Nudge frame forward
_ Nudge frame back

After a quick recap and learning a couple of shortcuts we where given a short clip about two minutes long clip from the 2002 film Solaris, directed by Steven Soderbergh, I hadn’t seen the film so I wasn’t quite sure on what tone or mood the film was trying to create. We where given the sound clips which we downloaded from the student sever, which we then matched up with the clips on the screen, this was fairly straight forward the only real difficult I came across was matching the sound of the footsteps, as non of the sounds weren’t in sync.

clip from Solaris



The exercise was all about manipulating sound to create a sense of atmosphere, mood, tone and emotion to a clip that had no sound. We wasn’t told what our brief exactly was but we where told that it was very similar apart from we would have to go and record the sound our selves using a mixture of in sync and Foley sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment