Thursday, 20 November 2014

Midi Key Board

In todays session we looked at Midi compositions and how we could use it to create tone, tension and atmosphere. We attached a midi keyboard to the computer then opened up Pro Tools. We used the software instruments called Xpand2 that has a vast library of different sounds, synths, pads and harmonies. 


We got given a clip from Solaris; biggest problem for me was the navigating through the vast library, as we where only given a couple of hours, I found myself to listening to sounds lots of different sounds to see if they worked with out actually recording them.  After a bit of trial and error I came across the haunted house ambiance, I pitched the sound down to create this nice atmospheric piece.




The second clip is quite a delicate atmosphere which to me sounds quite space like, i didn't think it fit the clip but thought it was a nice atmosphere which i could use later.

               



At home I have midi drum kit so I experiment using Garage Band. I understand that Garage Band isn’t industry standard but it’s the only software I have at home and was keen to try it out. What I recorded is a very simple fill but knowing that its possible is great, as I could compose my own tracks in the future.
















No comments:

Post a Comment